Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Nike Football

I am not a soccer fan. I am about as excited for the World Cup as I am for the next Nickelback single. Leave it to Nike to change my mind.

Nike has always been at the cutting edge of marketing and brand strategy. Their over-priced, under-made goods have enjoyed explosive sales for decades mostly due to their sleek campaigns and celebrity endorsements. Little I own is Nike, but I still love a great Nike ad.

This three-minute spot for Nike Football was developed by Amsterdam ad agency Wieden + Kennedy and directed by Academy Award nominated director Alejandro Gonzalez Inarritu. It makes me want to watch soccer. And as I mentioned before, I am not a soccer fan.

Also, watch for the cameo by Kobe Bryant.


Thank you to my friend Andy Veilleux for bringing this ad to my attention.

3 comments:

  1. I'm glad to see you liked the video. It's quite an amazing piece of story-telling, particularly the Wayne Rooney section (English player, looks kind of like a bulldog).

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a fantastic concept - how the choices and actions of a player on the field impact their life and others of the field. And you can extrapolate that out to any sport.

    That's what I've always liked about Nike - they go beyond the game.

    ReplyDelete
  3. impressive - more so than the lady ga video.

    ReplyDelete